Emergency Rental Assistance – COVID-19 Rent Relief

  • tenantThe COVID-19 has resulted in major job losses, which can hit lower income families the hardest. In response, the City of Antioch is supporting programs that help provide housing security for its residents. The State of California Emergency Rental Assistance Program provides funds for both landlords and tenants to address COVID-19-related rental payment problems, both past due and future payments.


    Landlords are ENCOURAGED to apply for state reimbursement of 80% of each eligible rent’s unpaid rent between April 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021, if you agree to waive the remaining 20% of unpaid rent for that specific time period.

    Emergency Rental Assistance

    For more information, resources, and how to apply for emergency rental assistance, visit:



    To be eligible, Renter household income must be at or below 80% of the Area Median Income for Contra Costa County (see chart below). Renters must verify that they meet the eligibility requirement and sign the application, and all payments must be used to satisfy the renter’s unpaid rent.

    Learn more at: https://housing.ca.gov/covid_rr/program_overview.html#landlords

    Renters – Rent AND Utility Assistance

    Eligible lower-income renters whose landlords choose not to participate in the program may apply on their own and receive 25% of unpaid rent between April 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021 as well as assistance for unpaid utilities accumulated for that time period (at 100% of cost, limited to 12 months total). If one or more individuals in your household meet all of the following criteria/requirements, you are eligible to apply:

    • Have qualified for unemployment benefits or experienced a reduction in household income, incurred significant costs, or experienced other financial hardship due to COVID-19; and
    • Demonstrate a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability, which may include:
      • A past-due utility or rent notice or eviction notice;
      • Unsafe or unhealthy living conditions; or
      • Any other evidence of such risk, as determined by the program
    • Have a household income that is not more than 80% of the Area Median. This means that your income cannot exceed the amount below for the number of people in your household. This means, for example, that if you have 4 people living in your household, the combined income of all four people cannot be more than $98,550.
    Household Size: 1 2 3 4 5 6
    80% AMI: $69,000 $78,850 $88,700 $98,550 $106,450 $114,350


Menu See Click Fix